Sunday, February 3, 2013

Life Story of Leo Thomas Grover

I was the third child and first son born to Thomas Martin Grover and Isabella Hogg, in North Morgan, Morgan County, Utah on March 3, 1897.

Morgan is in a beautiful little valley in Weber Canyon where the Weber River flows. Our pioneer families settled on both sides of the river dividing the town of Morgan into North and South Morgan. My father's family settled in North Morgan on property that his mother, my Grandmother Heiner, had inherited from her family. Grandmother Heiner passed away when my father was 15 years old. My mother's family, the Hogg's, had settled in South Morgan. The young people from both North and South Morgan would meet at the "Switch" (railroad station) to visit with one another. Father had hurt his hand and was having a hard time tying his horse up. Isabella Hogg helped him tie it up. This act of kindness was the beginning of their friendship and courtship, which later resulted in their marriage on 29 June 1892 in the Logan Temple. My three older sisters and I were born there in Morgan.

Probably, my earliest memories were of my Grandfather Grover staying with us on weekends. I later found out he had been an Ordinance Worker in the Logan Temple. I remember thinking it strange he would always wear his Sunday clothes to "work" when we weren't allowed to.
I

No comments:

Post a Comment